RE: [TR] Axle oil seal - shims problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Axle oil seal - shims problem
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:33:34 -0800
> I was just going to order up a 1/32 to go with the (good) original 1/32.
>
> Does that sound reasonable or do I need to more concerned and get
> these properly measured.
>
> Needless to say I didn't measure the float (?) before I dismantled.

Given that there is something strange going on (loose bolts with intact lock
tabs), I would not be happy unless I checked that the end float was within
limits.  I also wonder how those shims got creased ... but the crease itself
doesn't seem like a problem to me.

The right tool for checking end float is a dial indicator & magnetic mount.
Less than $20 from Enco.
http://www.use-enco.com

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org