Re: [TR] hood sticks, again

To: kinderlehrer@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TR] hood sticks, again
From: jar@aldermanroad.net
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:04:10 -0500
kinderlehrer@comcast.net wrote:

>From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
>

>>>I did this and it was a lot easier to get the hood up, but when it
>>>got hot the hood kept collapsing on top of our heads as we were
>>>driving,
>>>

>>Hmmm, I'm not even sure how that's possible.  Do you mean the dog legs folded
>up
>>?
>>
>>In any case, I've driven thousands of miles with the rearmost bow not
>connected
>>to the strap (including through the Mohave desert in summer time) and never
>had
>>a problem with the bows collapsing.  There might have been once or twice I had
>>to push the rear bow back into position, but I don't recall even that.
>>
>>Randall
>>

>I think the rear bow folded and then the front bow collapsed? I can't
>remembers specifically, but the canvas was on our heads and we were fighting
>with the bows to get them back up. Putting the plates back on to secure the
>webbing solved the problem.  Glad you didn't have the same experience - could
>be differences in tops, fittingof the bows and a whole host of things
>including my infallable bad luck I suppose.
>Bob
>
>Your messages not reaching the list?
>Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html
>
>===  This list supported in part by The Vintage Triumph Register
>===     http://www.vtr.org
>
>===  Help keep Team.Net on the air:    http://www.team.net/donate.html

>===  Archives at http://www.team.net/archive
>===  http://www.team.net/the-local

The basic use of the rear bow is for the shape of the top.  It does not
keep the top from falling.  As long as the webbin is attached to the
front bow, the second bow, and the rear capping, the top cannot fall.
Keep in mind that what keeps the top up is the folding link that is
attached to the body.  After you have attached the top to the windshield
and the rear capping, you push that link at the fold point rearward
until it snaps.  If the top is too loose when these links are fully
rearward,, then the top frame can collapse.

The fit of the top to the frame when raised is the critical element, and
I've only ever seen a custom-made top, or a very good one that has the
snaps custom fitted to the car, work correctly.  That's why the
aftermarket tops always flop around, the side curtains never match,
etc.  Even when these cars were in general use, I only ever knew one
uphostry shop that knew how to make/fit a new top.  No dealer ever had
the skill to do it, even with a new, factory soft top.

Cheers.

Cheers.

===     http://www.vtr.org