RE: [TR] Re: SPAM on Triumph e-mail list, and Truimph

To: "Eureka Saws Co, Inc." <ambritts@ptdprolog.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Re: SPAM on Triumph e-mail list, and Truimph
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 08:36:35 -0800
> Unfortunately the ratio of my SPAM e-mail to real
> e-mail
> > is getting close to 20-1 in the last few months, and I'm starting to
> suspect
> > that this has something to do with being subscribed to the Triumph e-mail
> > group.

I doubt that seriously.  I've been on this list (and several others) for a long
time; and I get less spam than anyone I know.

One of my "secrets" is that I never open mail in HTML format from an unknown
source.  You may have noticed those messages that simply make no sense at all
... they typically contain links that let someone know when you open the
message.  Now they know your email address, which they can sell for money to the
actual spammers.  I also never click on "opt-out" links ... a complaint to the
spammer's ISP works much better.

> > - If this is a common problem to a majority of the subscribers, has the
> group
> > as a whole ever discussed switching to a newsgroup format? I personally
> would
> > welcome this change.

It's been discussed.  But newsgroups have their own problems, including worse
SPAM problems than this list has.

> > - Is there an active Triumph related newsgroup?  I haven't found one.

I don't know of any on USENET, but there are a few on Yahoo! groups.  I belong
to several of them ... I like the Team.Net lists much better.  The Yahoo groups
deliberately put spam in every single message !

> > Note: I do have some type of SPAM filter turned on by my ISP, but it
> obviously
> > isn't very good, or the SPAM generators are just too good at getting past
> > these filters.

The spam generators are very good at bypassing almost any kind of filter, at
least for awhile.  The one thing they cannot change/fake is their IP address, so
that's what my filters are based on.  Of course some spam comes from reputable
ISPs, but they promptly get a complaint from me.  I'm hoping the spammers
actually keep a blacklist of those who complain directly to their ISPs.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org