RE: [TR] Dorsey the Door Dodo

To: "list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Dorsey the Door Dodo
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 21:27:57 -0800
> I took the driver's side door off my TR3 last night.  Something was
> rattling in it.  Turns out the DOOR CHECK ASSEMBLY had fallen inside
> the door.  It looks ok so i'll reinsert it with the very slight angle
> turned towards the middle of the car- let me know if this is incorrect?

Open the door and insert the check strap where it belongs.  Turn it so the angle
matches the angle of the door.

> I am unaware of what it attaches to.  It looks about like a shortened
> pop-cycle stick w/ hole at one end and a big stopper at the other
> end.  What does the hole attach to?

As mentioned, there should be a short section sticking out of the vertical body
section in front of the door (known as the 'A' post) between the hinges.  The
end of the "popsicle stick" goes inside, and a smooth pin goes through the
holes.  The pin is held with a cotter pin.

>  Somewhere, I think I've heard of
> a 'check-strap', (what is that?)

The term is used interchangeably with "door check assembly".  Basically it keeps
the door from opening too far (which will severely dent the door).

> I can't get the screws out of the door latch, and since it looks
> good, I think I just leave it alone.

Check that it works OK, from both the inner and outer handle.  Also check that
the outside handle is roughly parallel to the ground.  The stop frequently gets
bent from people trying to force the handle the wrong way.

> One pecular thing to me is the key situation.  Both keys go into the
> door handle and turn, I think, but neither one does anything.  One
> key is squarish at the top, and the other roundish.  Both are small.
> The keys given to me by the PO have numbers on them and might be
> original.  I've never had it running or locked so, I know nothing.
> Please help.

If the keys will turn the lock cylinder (the part with the slot the key goes
through), then either they have the right pattern for the tumblers, or the
tumblers are badly worn (or missing).  If turning the cylinder does not lock the
handle (only the outside handle locks, the inside handle should always work,
which kind of limits the usefulness of the lock), then the handle assembly
itself is defective.

Since either key will go in, most likely the cylinder is severely worn (which is
not at all uncommon on locks this old).  The locks were made of very soft metal
to begin with, and people have forced all sorts of odd objects into them over
the years.

TRF (probably Moss & VB too) will sell you a lock set, that replaces all of the
locks on the car and has two new keys.  Individual locks are also available, but
of course the keys won't match the other locks.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org