RE: [TR] Best Coil

To: "'Triumph Email List'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Best Coil
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 06:21:15 -0800
> Bob, I've had this same question in my mind for some time so will be
> watching this thread closely.
> Before I get lost, what is TBI, Custom EFIS, MSD, and "internally ballasted
> coil" ?

Keep in mind, Eric, that the correct answer for Bob with his heavily-modified
engine may not be the correct answer for your engine.

TBI stands for Throttle Body Injection, a form of fuel injection (usually
electronic).

CustomEFIS is a company that sells components for custom EFI (Electronic Fuel
Injection) setups.

MSD is a company that sells high-performance ignition products.  They got
started with a Multiple Spark Discharge unit (still their best known product
line), hence the name.

"internally ballasted coil" means an ignition coil that does not require an
external ballast resistor.  Most high performance ignition systems require a
non-ballasted coil.

Bob, it might help if you told us what ignition you are using with your coil.
It's my personal opinion that a MSD 6 hooked to almost any decent non-ballasted
coil will give you more spark than you have any use for, but YMMV.  I ran one
for many years using a K-mart coil, and my biggest problem was the rest of the
high tension system.  It would fry anything that wasn't in tip-top condition ...
had to go a range colder on plugs to get decent life out of them.  Where do you
buy an uprated rotor for a Lucas dizzy ?

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org