[TR] headlamps

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] headlamps
From: don spence <dkspence@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:51:16 -0700
While this is true it is not a deterrent to using european H4 lamps.
Contrary to "period" US spec lamps ( round Sealed beams) mandated by
the manufacturers lobby, an H4 from the 60/70's had a proper lens
that focus the light on the road surface forward of the vehicle with
a cut off like so

   ___/

The light was directed to the road surface, not into oncoming drivers
eyes. To the right, the light was directed along the shoulder and
higher to illuminate signs.  H4 lamps available today, designed for
european vehicles, will have a refined version of this lens design
and are very suitable for use in North america.

Fred is absolutely right in that lens made to be installed and used
in England, Japan etc will have the rise on the left ...

  \___

and will not be appreciated by oncoming traffic, or by you for that
matter as they will not illuminate road signs.   Brits traveling on
the continent could apply masks to the lens to block the "rise
portion of the beam.

Bottom line, fit H4 lamps with a right rise lens.

===     http://www.vtr.org