Re: [TR] headlamp choce?

To: twakeman@razzolink.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] headlamp choce?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:23:20 EST
In a message dated 11/6/2006 9:01:59 AM Central Standard Time,
twakeman@razzolink.com writes:
> >I once bought a set of cheap Chinese knockoffs from J.C. Whatnow? and even
>
> >with 100 W bulbs they did a poorer job of lighting the road than the sealed
>
> >beam halogen's I installed as replacements.
>
> When you pay the extra $$ for the Hella, Cibie &IPF lamps you are
> paying for a more precision lens that is carefully aligned with the
> reflector and where the filaments would be located.

I guess the point I was driving at is that it is a light projections system
where bulb filament placement and reflector contour are important.  Many years
ago I put some H4's on the wife's Datsun.  One took a stone which poked a
small hole in the lens.  It still worked but the thing eventually filled
partially
with water and the reflector material disappeared.  It wound up useless as a
roadway lighting system even though there was a 100W bulb in there.  I
eventually replaced it with a sealed beam halogen when improved things
noticeably.

And don't waste your money on cheap H4's.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org