Re: [TR] headlamp choce?

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] headlamp choce?
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 06:26:47 -0800
Randall wrote:
>> Are there any disadvantages other than price?
>
> Only disadvantage I can think of is that it's more important they be aimed
> properly.  Otherwise the increased light may irritate oncoming drivers more.

If you are switching over to halogen head lamps and actually drive at
night (it seems a lot of TRs are driven day time only these days), may I
suggest IPF headlamps?

IPF headlamps have a European style lens pattern that has a very sharp
cutoff pattern.  It allows the low beam to reach out in front of you and
a little higher on the right side so you can read signs, without
throwing light into the eyes of oncoming drivers.  They work at least as
well as  Hella headlamps but cost less.

My Land Rover has IPF headlamps with 90W low beam and 145W high beam
bulbs.  They are carefully aimed and I've never been flashed by oncoming
traffic when the low beams are on.  Mind you power to the bulbs come via
relays.  But you don't need relays if you use the standard wattage bulbs.

The IPF 7"H4 Headlamp is part number 920H and sells for $35 each without
bulb. IPF 55/60 headlamp bulb is part number HHC126055 and sells for $17
each.  They are very pricey compared chain discount auto parts store all
in one halogen lamp offerings but if you are driving much at night,
especially in the country, the increased seeing difference is well worth
the extra cost.

Steve Hedke (Driver of the TR3 in the great race a couple years ago)
sells them through is parts company.

www.landroverparts.us/landroverparts/IPF_lighting.html

TeriAnn

===     http://www.vtr.org