RE: [TR] Weekend "lean" drive

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Weekend "lean" drive
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 09:34:46 -0800
> I took our TR3a out this last weekend and had a hard time keeping it
> running well without some choke.  Slight backfire and sputter @ mid-
> range.  I "richened" it 3 flats and it ran MUCH better.

Funny how that works !  Carburetors basically mix by volume, and so are
sensitive to both air and fuel density.  I pretty much always move a flat or two
between winter and summer; and even then it's only an approximation.

> After we drive it and park it in the garage, there is always a gas
> smell for a day or two.  Could this be the gas in the bowls? Do I have
> a seeping leak that I don't see?

Unless your garage is sealed up really tight, I would suspect you have seepage
somewhere.   Most likely culprit is the jet glands on the carbs, but the float
bowl mounts are a close second.  Could also be a pinhole in the fuel pump
diaphragm, or almost anywhere else in the system.

But since the fuel system is open to the atmosphere, the car always gives off a
little bit of fumes.  This is much more pronounced after a run, when the fuel in
the carb bowls is heated almost to boiling (and sometimes beyond).  I've
actually considered adding vapor recovery to my TR3A, but it's never made it to
the top of my priority list.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org