[TR] Car Storage

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Car Storage
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 12:41:32 EDT
Timeline: November 2005.
Drive the TR6 up to a friend's barn 90 miles out of town for a short, 4 month
storage whilst I dismantle the TR3.  Park the car, open battery disconnect
and throw cover over the car.  No other steps take.

Fast forward to Oct 1, 2006.
A bit longer than the planned four months.  I pulled the cover off.  Check
the oil for gas.  OK.  No gas in oil.  Check coolant.  Full.  Check master
cylinder.  Full.  Close battery disconnect.  Open door and curtesy light
illuminates.  Turn key and listen to fuel pump run.  Listen to carbs filling
up.  Engage
starter.  Crank, crank, crank, vroom.  Runs like it had been run yesterday.

So, after 11 months of total neglect I needed none of the precautionary
supplies I brought with me.  Spare battery: no need.  The old battery sat 11
month
and stopped taking a charge after only a few minutes.  Change of oil: no need.
 Well, it could use a change anyway.  Spare brake fluid: no need.  I thought
I had a leaky wheel cylinder but I guess it healed itself.  Jack, tools:
stayed in the trunk.

So what do you need to do to store a car for a prolonged period of time?
Nothing.  Disconnect the battery maybe.  I did nothing else.  The battery held
its charge over the year of idleness.  No Stabil (R) in the gas (the TR6 has an
evaporative loss control system and the fuel stayed fresh).  The tires were
still inflated and had no flat spots.  The car cruised smoothly down the
highway
back home.  No plug fouling.

The only thing I didn't bring with me that I wish I had were nose plugs.
Barns, mice, coincidence?  No evidence of destruction.  No chewed hoses or
wires
or upholstery.  But the smell.  In hind sight I should have pulled the seats
and carpets before leaving it.

Just wanted to share.  That old TR6 is dead nuts reliable.  Smelly but
reliable.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6