Re: [TR] GT6 Questions

To: C E White <BN_Knight@ameritech.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] GT6 Questions
From: Cameron Rooke <beaker211@rogers.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:27:57 -0400 (EDT)
Chuck,

I have the MKIII GT6 and I know that many parts from the Spitfire fit the GT6.
If you get the Victoria British catalogue for these two cars, you will see many
part numbers that are the same for both (depending on year/model) - especially
with body, interior, electrical and trim parts. The same applies to Spitbits
and some of the other suppliers. I always look at several suppliers before
ordering because I know there are some that are listed incorrectly at some
parts suppliers.

As for reliability, I do know that the GT6 gearbox has been noted as a weak
point. Fortunately for me, mine was swapped out by a PO for a Toyota T40
transmission. No problems with that one so far (touch wood). Other things are
like any other LBC, I suppose.

And, the GT6 does get quite hot inside in the warm weather. I disconnect the
heater core during the summer and enjoy the moderate sauna that is still
created.

The GT6 is certainly a fun car to drive, though.

Cameron
'71 GT6

C E White <BN_Knight@ameritech.net> wrote: Greetings.

I've come across a 1970 GT6 for sale that interests me but I know only
enough about them to be dangerous so I'm looking for guidance.  First, a
little about the car (from the owner's description).  It's a low mileage
(less than 48,000 original miles) car that's been in storage from 1980 until
a little over 1 year ago.  The rubber seals around the windshield and hatch,
weather-stripping on the doors & hatch, and the door window seals are new.
It has a new fuel pump, interior door panels and carpeting.  The floor pans
were replaced when it was painted about 1 year ago.  All the electricals are
in good shape.  The interior is in good shape but needs a headliner.  The
wooden dash needs to be refinished.

Now for the questions.  What is/are the difference(s) between a GT6 and a
GT6+?  What are the weak points I should be looking at on a GT6 (frame,
body, mechanicals, common rust points, etc.)?  I've been told that many of
the GT6 parts are not available in the States but that most Spitfire parts
can be used.  True?  For example, are the GT6 floor pans and the Spitfire
pans the same?  What major components are not interchangeable?  Are there
any other issues I should be aware of before I plunge headlong into
unfamiliar territory?

Thanks for any assistance and guidance.

Chuck White
1965/67 TR4A IRS, CTC61681L