RE: [TR] Teflon Tape On Oil Drain Plug

To: "Marty Clark" <marty.tr6@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Teflon Tape On Oil Drain Plug
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 14:28:56 -0700
> I've had my TR6 for a couple of years now and while changing the oil for
> only the second time myself (I had been taking it to a shop to get lubed
> with the oil change, no I don't own a lube gun) I gave the drain plug a look
> to see if anything was amiss and I noticed reminants of what I assumed to be
> Teflon tape buried in between the threads of the plug.

Lots of people like to put teflon tape on that plug, especially after they've
found it way too tight and/or seized in the hole.  Most likely the remainder is
in the oil filter, although it certainly wouldn't hurt to check that all of your
rockers are still getting oil.  This is a weak point of the TR6 engine anyway,
so it's worth checking once in awhile (like every other time you adjust the
valves).

To avoid any chance of the tape getting where it shouldn't, I prefer to use
teflon pipe 'dope', available at Home Depot.  It's more expensive, but a can
will last a long, long time.  I bought my first can some 20 years ago and used
it for all sorts of things, just bought a second can last year.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org