RE: more than 1 kind of starter push switch?

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: more than 1 kind of starter push switch?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 19:30:16 -0800
> I am putting my center console back togather and I have yet to put the
> 'starter push' switch in.  Today I noticed that one came up for auction on
> Ebay, however, it's much smaller than mine - it's at:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Original-TR2-TR3-starter-switch-use
> d-NLA_W0QQitemZ4595806191QQcategoryZ34206QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks pretty close to me ... AFAIK that's the only switch ever used by the
factory.  Of course it would be easier to identify if the seller had given
us a side view.

> My switch, on the other hand, is about 1 3/4" in diameter and about 2-3"
> deep.

That's huge !  I don't know what it is, but there's nothing like that on any
of my TR3As.  Only thing I can think of _might_ be the optional 2-speed
wiper switch.  I've only seen pictures of it, but I don't recall it being
that deep either.

> It also has room for 2-3 other slide on connectors.

The original starter pushbutton only had two terminals on the back.  AFAIK
they were always screw-clamp type, even on the later cars where the other
switches changed to flat push-on terminals.

>  And I need to ask, what
> besides the dash does it mount to?

All of them only mount to the dash.

>  Also, how can I test mine? (a connectivity tester?)

Continuity tester (test light) or ohmmeter/multimeter (DVM) is a good start.
For the starter push button, that's probably enough since the original
solenoid doesn't draw much current and the switch is only in use
momentarily.

For the ignition switch, I'd suggest finding a way to put a significant
amount of current through it (for example power a headlight bulb with it,
about 5 amps) and measuring the voltage drop.  If you see more than 0.1
volt, you're going to have trouble with it later, IMO.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org