RE: Oil pressure issue

To: Jim Muller <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oil pressure issue
From: Cameron Rooke <beaker211@rogers.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:56:22 -0500 (EST)
--- Jim Muller <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net> wrote:

> Randall's point, I believe, is that irregularly
> timed electrical
> pulses can cause an electic tach to misbehave.
> Floating points or
> badly out of spec dwell could cause this, as could
> loose wiring or
> ground behind the dash.  However a mechanical tach
> isn't susceptible
> to this.  A sticking cable might make the tach jump
> in much the same
> way that a speedometer can bounce.  But the dwell
> angle (point gap)
> won't have anything to do with it, and worn dizzy
> shaft bushings
> probably won't either unless maybe possibly perhaps
> they cause a
> really bad gear fit.  It's hard to imagine a
> mechanical tach hitting
> 12,000 for any other reason, unless your clutch
> slipped and the
> engine really took off, in which case I'd wonder
> that something
> didn't break.

Yeah, I wonder what the heck happened, too. The engine
speed did not change. The clutch didn't slip. I think
maybe the tach was complaining about the cold. The
needle went almost all the way around back to 0. I
guess I'll take the lawnmower and bicycles out of the
garage again this weekend and do some diags.

Cameron

===     http://www.vtr.org