Oil pressure issue

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil pressure issue
From: Cameron Rooke <beaker211@rogers.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:56:15 -0500 (EST)
Greetings,

I did an oil change a couple of nights ago and
replaced the old gunk with full synthetic. Replaced
the oil filter at the same time. Drove to work
yesterday and just before I arrived back at home, my
brake warning light came on. Checked it out and
everything looked ok. It was fine this morning when I
started out. About 3 blocks from home, my oil pressure
light came on (never has lit up before - not even when
the engine is idle and ignition switch on). While
bringing it back home, my Tach went nuts, zinging over
the top (like 12000RPM) when driving and back to
normal at idle and making a hell of a noise as well.
Got home, looked under the hood and noticed oil
leaking from the oil filter bolt - between the sleeve
and the bolt head.

Now, I know the GT6 wiring diagram has the oil and
brake warning lights connected together, and my car
has some strange wiring elsewhere (a PO must have
hacked things together when the dash was replaced
because I only have 2 fuses instead of 3 and a number
of wires hanging below the dash - like seat belt
warning wires judging by the colour), so I wonder if
the brake light coming on yesterday has something to
do with the oil pressure problem. I didn't look at the
oil level this morning since I had to jump in the
minivan and get to work but I figure it must be fairly
low if it was leaking all day yesterday. Didn't notice
it leaking after I changed the filter. I guess I need
a new O ring for the oil filter canister bolt.

So, does low oil pressure cause the Tach to go
berserk? Is it possible that an oil pressure problem
could cause other things to light up given the way
things are wired?

Thanks.

Cameron
'71 GT6