Re: Leaking Strombergs

To: chris.buckley@tz.knightfrank.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaking Strombergs
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:09:06 EST
In a message dated 11/22/2005 10:32:30 PM Central Standard Time,
chris.buckley@tz.knightfrank.com writes:
> Before starting to dismantle the '4A, I put on a pair of (old stock) new
> Stromberg carbs I had which were a great improvement. Now (3 years
> later) that it is almost together I have been running the motor and
> checking etc. One of the carbs is now leaking fuel from the jet
> adjustment screw. Is this going to sort itself out or will I need to
> take it apart and replace seals? If I need to replace seals, can it be
> done leaving the carbs on the car? Thanks in advance for your comments.

The leak is not likely to sort itself out.  It is leaking because the O-rings
have lost their elasticity and are no longer sealing.  If anything they will
become even harder as time goes by.  I changed out an O-ring in my TR8 carb
(in the dashpot adjuster) that crumbled when I took it out.

Can you change them out without removing the carb from the engine?  Probably,
but it is probably less trouble to pull the carb than to go through that set
of gymnastics.  Especially the first time.  And they really aren't that much
trouble to pull.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org