RE: GT6-3 Flywheel / pp plate studs

To: "M. Secrest" <vze34wdb@verizon.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GT6-3 Flywheel / pp plate studs
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:31:32 -0800
> First, let me just say that a stock GT6 flywheel is one heavy lump of
> molten rock.  And mine is missing one of the three studs on the outer
> part of the flyweel that steady the pressure plate/clutch assembly.  I'd
> like to replace it.

Should be a standard 1/4" dowel pin, either 11/16" long or 7/16" depending on
whether you have the Laycock or B&B clutch (according to my factory SPC for the
GT6 Mk 3).

> I am thinking about cutting the barrel of an old 1/4-inch drill bit,
> which fits into the stud hole, but will not pressure-fit into place as I
> presume the correct stud does.

Should work fine.  Or you can buy dowel pins at almost any industrial supply
house, although probably not in 1/16" increments and probably not one at a time.

>  Any ideas?  JB Weld?  Or do I just
> really need the stock replacement, presuming it exists?

If it doesn't fit snugly, a little Loctite won't hurt.  But it should be a .250"
pin in a .250" hole, which is a light press fit.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org