Re: Ammeter hookup?

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ammeter hookup?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:01:32 EST
In a message dated 11/20/2005 11:31:26 PM Central Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:
> I had to have another Ammeter because I must have misplaced the original.
> bought a $20 cheap (temporary)replacement at the local autoparts store.  It
> has only 2 terminals (like the original) and I am hoping to hook it up just
> like the original.  Can I do this?
> Thanks, Paul Dorsey

Yes, you can.  But to be sure it isn't hooked up backwards turn on the lights
afterwards and observe whether the ammeter needle indicates discharge
(preferable) or charge (not preferable).  If it shows charge, reverse the
leads.  Of
course, if the leads are connected backwards the car will still function
properly but the ammeter reading may be confusing showing charge when the
battery
is actually discharging and vice-versa.  This may not be a problem if you can
remember which is which and if it is just temporary you may elect to forgo
correcting the issue.  Your choice.  The car doesn't care.

Cheers

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org