Re: Girling Rear Disk Brakes for TR3/4?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Girling Rear Disk Brakes for TR3/4?
From: Hoyt <hoyt@cavtel.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:14:59 -0500
On Monday 14 November 2005 02:37 pm, Randall wrote:

> I've seen rear disc brakes on a TR3/4, but it was done by changing the
> entire axle assembly, usually to a shortened Ford 9" from a car with rear
> discs.
>
> The real question, IMO, is why ?

The delicious zest in the pursuit of knowledge, of course, and the ensuing
euphoria of neosis.

While Triumph was not averse to taking one-off equipment racing, they
certainly seem to have done it with an eye on putting pieces into production.
Take the Sabrina engine in those cars for example: "she" was designed with
thoughts of possible production use. The rear Girling disks used in those
cars were also being considered for use in production vehicles. Had the
TR3-S's been big winners at LeManns in 1959, there may well have been more
interest on Triumph's part to include those features in future production
TR's. I'm curious as to how the brakes were designed, if they used production
components, and so on.

To date, I've found very few references to the TR3-S. I am intrigued by the
vehicles and would like to know of more about them.

The references I have found are:
Chapter 13, "Triumph Cars: The Complete Story" by Robson and Langworth (ISBN
1-899870-72-5);
Chapter 4 of "The Triumph TRs: A Collector's Guide" by Robson (ISBN
0-900549-63-7);
page 128 of "Triumph TR2 & TR3: Gold Portfolio", Brooklands Books (ISBN
1-85520-2435);
page 38 of "Triumph Sports Cars" by Krause (ISBM 0-7603-0450-5) has a lovely
color picture of Sabrina in the TRS body);
page 47 of April 1980 issue of "Special Interest Autos" (ISSN-90049-1845) has
a boxout and picture of the TRS engine bay.

If anybody has any more references, I would be delighted to know of them. I'm
also seeking a more detailed image of the front apron badge used on the
famous Jabbeke TR2.

--
Hoyt
1954 TR2   TS561L