RE: Girling Rear Disk Brakes for TR3/4?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Girling Rear Disk Brakes for TR3/4?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:37:21 -0800
> Were these one-off setups or is it possible to easily adapt the
> existing TR3/4 rear axle to disk brakes?

Anything is possible, but it certainly wouldn't be easy.

> It appears to me that it would only require a
> bracket to support the caliper

Even that is kind of tricky ... where does the bracket attach ?  The
existing brake plate bolts under the bearing housing, so the thickness
cannot change unless you re-engineer either the axle or the axle housing.
And IMO the existing plate, while adequate for drum brakes, probably isn't
heavy enough to support a caliper securely.  Certainly OEM disc brake
caliper brackets (including on the TRs) are much heavier stuff.

> and some means to effect a parking brake.

Which almost certainly the race cars didn't have.

You forgot adapting a rotor to the existing hub, which sounds kind of tricky
to me, too.

I've seen rear disc brakes on a TR3/4, but it was done by changing the
entire axle assembly, usually to a shortened Ford 9" from a car with rear
discs.

The real question, IMO, is why ?  You'll overheat the front brakes long
before the back ones, and it takes a LOT to overheat the front brakes.  I've
raced down mountains and not had any trouble with the stock brakes
overheating.  I have managed to overheat them as an experiment, but it took
a very determined effort with full throttle combined with heavy braking for
many minutes.  And the back brakes still worked just fine.

If you're just looking for "bling", go buy a Honda.

:)
Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org