Mailing List Affecting TR4 Performance

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@mrl.ucsb.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:37:49 -0800
Listerati,

I am curious if any of you have experienced the phenomenon of having the mailing
list subjects actually affect the car sitting in the garage?

My TR4 recently became very difficult to start, then went to a no-start
condition all together.

Checked:

Points, condenser, rotor, fuel, connections, valve lash....began to worry about
doing a compression check, looked for massive vacuum leaks.

Finally I began to suspect the original coil that has been performing well for
the past 43 years.

Swapped it out with an external ballast Accel coil I had laying around and
vArrrrrrooooooooooOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!

Why didn't I suspect the coil sooner?

Well, when I started wrenching on cars in my youth and encountered similar
no-start conditions with countless other vehicles, I often came to the
conclusion "It HAS to be the coil."

I'm sure many of you are suppressing giggles now, because I don't recall one
instance where it WAS actually the coil.

No, it was tight valves, bad condensers, rotors, mixed plug wires, no fuel,
fouled plugs, flooded.....etc, .etc....just about ANYTHING but a bad coil.So
after years and years of swapping out coils with no affect, I finally came to
the conclusion, "It's NEVER the coil."

And then it happened.

The only conclusion I can reach as to the failure of my coil is "It HAS to be
the mailing list."

So beware, Listerati, if you take something for granted, or never had problems
with it and it comes up as a list topic.....you too could become the
unsuspecting victim of some strange ethereal* collective energy that disables
your car.

-jeffrey

* c'mon, you KNOW that pun was intended

===     http://www.vtr.org