Re: Troubled TR8/TR7 VE

To: TR250Driver@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Troubled TR8/TR7 VE
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:10:13 EST
In a message dated 11/7/2005 1:01:25 PM Central Standard Time,
TR250Driver@aol.com writes:
> However, the real mystery to me is the second issue which is occasionally I
>
> will turn the key to fire it up and nothing happens.  I hear the relay click
>
> and I think I am getting power to the starter. This is also dejavue since
> the
> same thing has happened previously to the Eight a few years back.  Back then
> replaced the starter and the relay, which was not clicking, and I thought I
> had
> the problem solved.

The first thing to do is see if the starter solenoid is pulling in.  Stand on
the right side of the car near the starter and have someone turn the key to
start.  If the solenoid is energizing you should hear a rather pronounced noise
from the area of the starter.  If so then check or replace the starter and
solenoid.

if you hear nothing then I'd suspect the relay behind the fuse panel or the
interlock circuit.  This is a small five pin connector at the firewall above
the starter.  It has two wires for the reverse lights and it also has the
starter interlock for the automatic cars.  Manual cars have only a jumper but
the
starter current still goes through the connector and if the contacts are
getting
dodgy it can cause this problem.

Cheers

Dave