Troubled TR8/TR7 VE

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Troubled TR8/TR7 VE
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:55:27 EST
Guys,
The TR8 is in position in the work garage and it is finally time to address
issues which prevent me from driving and enjoying it.  First would be a cooling
system flush, tear down or whatever it takes since the auto chokes seem to be
sticking occasionally.
However, the real mystery to me is the second issue which is occasionally I
will turn the key to fire it up and nothing happens.  I hear the relay click
and I think I am getting power to the starter. This is also dejavue since the
same thing has happened previously to the Eight a few years back.  Back then I
replaced the starter and the relay, which was not clicking, and I thought I had
the problem solved. But NOOOOO!  I hate fighting the same problems!  You guys
have been great in fault diagnosis.  Am I missing something? I have a spare
ignition switch but I am doubtful that the problem lies there.  Just a bad
starter?  This is the car that likes to use up alternators too.  I am on my
third
one there in 8 years or so maybe 12,000 miles.  Should I just change sources
for my rebuilt electrical parts? The alternator maybe from jump starting, I did
not know until recently that that is real bad thing to do with a TR8 for some
reason.
Next will be the VE TR7 which occasionally will turn over but not start, no
fire to the plugs!  Let it sit for 5 minutes then it will fire?  I have one of
those factory Lucas constant energy replacement distributors on the bench for
that one.  Think I am on the right track there? Woe is Me!
Thanks in Advance for any insight.
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org