RE: Relevance of Post Replies (was 'Hydraulic shop in Santa

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Relevance of Post Replies (was 'Hydraulic shop in Santa
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:33:29 -0700
thomas309 wrote :

> Randall the sum total, of your post was that the response that Jeff got  was
> OK.

Or at least didn't deserve the nasty comments it got.

> I never offered any help on the topic....because I DON'T  KNOW!

Neither do I, and likely neither does Ed.  But the lack of substantive replies
had *nothing* to do with Ed's comment.

>  I think
> the point of this forum is to provide help, to those who  ask, IF one
> knows the answer.

That's a reasonable statement, but I still feel there is room for opinions,
light-hearted banter, and occasional off-topic "thread drift".  This thread, for
example...

> You also
> slammed Jeff, as 3 times worse than Ed, because of the  length of his protest
> post...how do you figure?  Jeff asked a specific  question re: a "Hydraulic
> Shop in Santa Rosa Ca.".

I wasn't talking about his original post ... the question about a hydraulic shop
was perfectly reasonable.  I was talking about his off-topic post complaining
that he, horror of horrors, got an off-topic message from the list.  Pot calling
the kettle black and all that.

> I fail to see how letting  Jeff know that
> "the original
> parts are all available and need no adapters"  has ANYTHING to do with the
> specific question he posed, and is NOT on topic!

I agree my response was mostly off-topic ... remember I'm not the one bitching
about off-topic posts so "I'm allowed" <g>  And you'll note I didn't respond to
Jeff's original question about the hydraulic shop, but only to his off-topic
complaint that he received an off-topic reply.

> I  don't see how you've come to
> the conclusion that Jeff "reflects badly on the  Triumph community
> and the list as a whole".

I was just repeating Jeff's logic, and specific phrase, to illustrate how silly
it was.

But, just for the record, I will say that I think it STINKS, that some people
only take from the list, never give to it, and THEN feel they have the right to
bitch because the people who do give to the list didn't answer one of their
questions to their precise satisfaction.  I've got no argument with people that
don't have any answers, but fer crying out loud, don't treat the people who do
have answers like trained seals.

>  I did notice that you "Got  my Nomex undies on,
> flame away", in fact expected some kind of challenge to your  idiotic drivel.

And you didn't disappoint, returned my "idiotic drivel" with interest.  Except
that you apparently didn't bother to read the entire sequence, and started
dumping on me without having all the facts in hand.

> PS: Would you PLEASE calculate the length of this post, and let me know how
> many times worse I am than who? Thanks...

That calculation is left as an exercise to the student.

> PPS: Sorry if you find this to be off topic, but it IS written in English
> and we all have English cars, so....

So that means Ed's reply was on-topic and Jeff was wrong to say otherwise ?
:^)

Randall