RE: more TR6 brake issues

To: <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: more TR6 brake issues
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:51:06 -0700
> But even if the system is not vented, there is still air in the MC,
> and I think everyone is saying
> that there is sufficient moisture in the system from whatever
> source(s) to saturate the DOT 3/4 thus
> leaving droplets of water in the system and thus rusting the brake
> system components.

No, it doesn't leave droplets of water.  Glycol is hygroscopic, meaning it not
only attracts water, but (weakly) combines with it.  It literally forms a new
substance, a hydrate.

> So I think my question stands. If we are driving around with the DOT
> 3/4 in our brake systems saturated with moisture,

The whole point is, you *don't* want to be driving around with your brake fluid
saturated with moisture.  That's part of the reason why glycol needs to be
changed frequently.  It starts out dry when you crack the can, then slowly
absorbs moisture over time.

> why be concerned about a can of brake fluid
> that was opened for a few seconds and then resealed?

*Probably* it's OK, if it was only opened once, tightly resealed, and hasn't
been on the shelf too long.  Don't forget, glycol starts to deteriorate once
it's 'wet' and only has a lifetime of a few years once the process starts.  How
long has that can been on the shelf ???

But why would you *want* to use brake fluid that's already half-rotten ?  Not to
mention already corrosive.

Randall