RE: Weber DGEV question

To: "Bill Miller \(LBC's\)" <lbcs@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Weber DGEV question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:44:55 -0700
> What I
> mean by that is that if I drive normally and come to a stop light, when I
> take off, it seems to miss like fouled plugs until 2500 rpm, then it clears
> up and runs like a scared rabbit.
> <snip>
> Another part of the puzzle that may help you experts.  After the car is hot,
> I have to start it holding the accelerator down,

Sounds to me like a leaky float valve.  Idling, or parked hot, it's letting too
much fuel through into the bowl, raising the level and dribbling liquid fuel
into the intake manifold.  When parked, the heat soak vaporizes the fuel and
makes the mixture in the manifold way rich.  When you open the throttle wide
from idle, it sucks the liquid fuel into a cylinder and momentarily fouls it.
Gradual acceleration lets the fuel evaporate more slowly and get sucked through.

> This thing does not appear to have mixture screws anywhere that
> I can find.

My Weber book doesn't show the DGEV but it should be similar to the DGAV (but
with electric heated choke instead of water heated).  The DGAV has an idle
mixture trim screw on the base plate, on the end next to the primary barrel &
accelerator pump, but the shaft of the needle is parallel to the primary
throttle shaft.  If your carb came from an emissions application (like some Ford
Pinto I believe), it may have a cap or plug over the idle trim screw.  Major
adjustments to idle mixture, as well as all other flow ranges, are made by
changing parts inside the carb.

But I'm certainly no expert, "only know what I read in the papers" about Webers.
Randall