RE: Bad Coil?

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bad Coil?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:13:47 -0700
> On the
> negative side of
> the coil, and at the distributor, it reads between 7 & 8 volts and the
> reading sometimes "jumps to" 11 or 12 volts.

Hmm, have you checked your point gap or dwell ?  That seems a little high to
me.  Could be a bad connection inside the dizzy too, maybe a wire that is
broken internally.  Could the ground wire for your point plate be missing or
open ?

> With the key in the On
> position, but the car NOT running, I get the same 12.5 on the + side and
> less then 1 (actually 0.25) on the negative side.

My apologies if this was covered, Bob ... a 75 TR6 should have a ballast
resistor built into the wiring harness.  This measurement means yours has
been removed.  Do you know which Lucas Sports coil you have ?  The proper
coil for a 75 TR6 requires the external ballast ... if someone sold you the
proper coil then you may be overheating the points and/or coil due to lack
of a ballast.

Easiest test for a bad coil, IMO, is to substitute with a known good one.

Randall