RE: Follow-up question

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Follow-up question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:20:32 -0700
> Does 6 cylinder engine follow the "9 Rule" or is it just
> applicable to the 4
> cylinder engines??
>
> If anyone knows for sure please let me know!

Jim, there's an even easier way (IMO), that works for any even-fire engine
with an even number of cylinders (which is 99%+ of the car engines in the
world).

What you do is turn the engine until one cylinder has both valves open
slightly (which happens when the exhaust is just closing and the intake just
opening, known as the overlap period).  Then find the opposite cylinder in
the firing order, and set it's valve gaps.  For a car with a distributor,
you can just follow the wire from the overlap cylinder back to the
distributor cap, skip directly across the cap, and then follow that wire to
the cylinder to set.

If memory serves, the Triumph 6 firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4.
So, if #1 is "on balance", set #6.  #5 will come up next (turning the engine
forwards), so set #2.
The full list is :
balance set
        1       6
        5       2
        3       4
        6       1
        2       5
        4       3

Of course there's no requirement that you turn the engine forwards ... I
usually turn mine backwards because it's easier to roll it backwards in 4th
gear.  Just go through the list bottom to top instead of top to bottom.

HTH
Randall