RE: roll bar for sale

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: roll bar for sale
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:00:10 -0700
> What octane
> gas is everyone burning?

I use Premium.  With the shaved head, I add octane improver.  If your engine is
totally stock, with 83mm liners, you may be able to get away with regular or
mid-grade (but the book says 95 octane).  I suspect the higher octane fuel pays
for itself in improved fuel mileage (since you can run more spark advance), but
I've never proved it on a TR3.  Definitely proved it on my 70 Audi, though.

>  Second, my engine is fitted w/shrink type flywheel TS25482E '58 3a. Is it
> worthwhile to swap the original for a new light weight and have it
> further milled and balanced while I'm in there? I have a new gear
> reduction starter I'll be installing.

Need to be careful, the starter must match the flywheel and the later ones are
different.  Since you already have the starter, I'd use the flywheel that
matches.  I don't know of anyone selling light weight flywheels in the early
pattern (although several people, including Joe Alexander, could probably
lighten an early flywheel for you).

Whether lightening is "worthwhile" depends on your definition of worthwhile.  It
does make the car accelerate faster, and seem more nimble, IMO.  But it also
makes it a bit more difficult to drive (more apt to stall, less low end torque)
and is more apt to cause mechanical problems down the line, IMO.  That said, my
new "hot rod" motor will definitely be getting an aluminum flywheel.

>  Last, gauges. I notice that all on the above TS# are domed glass but the
> tach (flat glass). The spare dash, to be sold, from TS24896L has all
> domed but the fuel (flat) the tach is missing glass. Anyone know what's
> correct?

As Andy said, they should all be domed on your car.  If memory serves, the "flat
face" fuel gauge won't even work right with a TR3A sender, although someone may
have put flat glass on a curved glass gauge.

Randall