Re: TR4 rear wheel brake cylinder leak

To: steven@newellboys.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 rear wheel brake cylinder leak
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:04:42 EDT
In a message dated 6/15/2005 2:37:50 PM Central Standard Time,
steven@newellboys.com writes:
> I spotted a leak at the right rear wheel that appears to be from the
> brake slave cylinder. I think it happens when I use the handbrake, since
> I've noticed a similar spot a couple times on my sloped driveway after
> moving the car into the garage. Otherwise the brakes are firm and I
> didn't lose any fluid on a recent 600 mile drive. My question: I'm going
> to replace that slave cylinder with a known good one, but I wondered if
> a handbrake adjustment problem could be the root cause? That is, is
> there something else that might have caused the failure that I should
> also check out?

When you are braking with your foot the hydraulic pressure will force the
cups against the cylinder wall and they will seal against minor imperfections
in
the cylinder wall of cup surface.  Without the pressure they may leak when in
the same position.  It is common for the cylinders to corrode and pit in the
area where the pistons rest so the cylinders will be clean where the cups sit
normally but when the piston extends the cups encounter the less than perfect
area.

When foot pressure is applied they cups will still seal but when the
handbrake is applied the pistons may extent and without the hydraulic pressure
fluid
will leak past.

Adjusting the brakes will limit the amount of piston extension and if you are
luck the cups will remain in the clean part of the cylinder.

But that is a temporary fix and new cylinders should be on the to do list.

Dave