Re: BTDT (was : Making Metal Brake Lines) (no LBC content)

To: tr3driver@comcast.net
Subject: Re: BTDT (was : Making Metal Brake Lines) (no LBC content)
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:35:49 EDT
In a message dated 6/1/2005 12:27:20 PM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> >Anybody interested in a KSR38 complete with paper tape punch?
>
> Only to use as the subject of a funeral pyre !!
>
> One of my first jobs as a professional programmer was to try to create
> listings
> on an HP minicomputer that had only a KSR38 as input, output and mass
> storage !
> After weeks of trying, I finally gave up in disgust and frustration ... just
> COULD NOT keep that %$@! punch from jamming long enough to actually assemble
> file.  (Took 3 passes to produce a listing, with the intermediate results
> from
> each pass going to the punch and being read back in on the next pass.)

My first exposure to assembly was at a company that just upgraded from such a
system.  It used the new 3 1/2 inch floppies and did an assembly in a few
minutes.  But they still operated with the old 18 hour assembly mindset and
would
only reassemble when absolutely necessary.  Instead they wrote patches which
made for very confusing code.

And by 1994 I was assembling 68HC11 code on my DX2 box in less than 2
seconds.

Dave