Re: Most Dangerous Tool

To: TOMJOANNMI@aol.com
Subject: Re: Most Dangerous Tool
From: portermd@zianet.com
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:04:45 -0700
Cc: technical-iwnet@wight365.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
TOMJOANNMI@aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 12/19/04 7:52:38 PM, technical-iwnet@wight365.net writes:
There's no
> sustitute for common sense and concentration on the task at hand. I'm
>employed as a
> physician assistant in a busy community orthopedics practice and have seen my
> share of mangled fingers and extremities over the past 14 years. Almost
>always
> the accident can be attributed to carelessness, disregard for basic safety or
> using a tool for a job it was not intended for.

Sometimes, though, it's the design of the tool. Some have mentioned spring
compressors--that design has evolved a bit over the years. The one I now use
has safety pins to help prevent the hooks from slipping off the spring. Not
foolproof, but an improvement.

I have a friend who is a now very elderly orthopedic surgeon who cut his
surgical teeth in a Marine MASH unit in WWII, and even with that experience,
he says that the single worst bone-related injury he's ever seen is from
people getting a hand caught in an old wringer-style washing machine. Draws
the arm in and crushes bones into many splinters. What's generally in use
today is a vast improvement in design over those.

Still, even the best tool is no substitute for using one's eyes, ears and
brain.

Cheers.