RE: A Cold Monday Morning . . .

To: "'Lenny Seidman'" <lseidman@erols.com>
Subject: RE: A Cold Monday Morning . . .
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:16:21 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Lenny Seidman Wrote:

Scott,
I'm betting it was something as simple as the coolant leaking out of a hose
connection that contracted due to the extremely cold night temperatures and
let a good amount of coolant out of your system on the ground before you
started the car up.

Lenny Seidman

Thanks for the response Lenny (and others)

It was about 8:00 before I got home last night . . . so I left the TR4 alone
in the driveway.
Despite the incredibly dry air we have . .. I was surprised to see the trail
of coolant coming was still "wet" although it had seeped into the asphalt.
Maybe the ethylene glycol doesn't evaporate like the water does????  I don't
think it continued to drip all day.

Anyway . . .
First things first . . .  The source of the coolant on the ground was most
certainly from the overflowing (erupting) catch bottle connected to the
radiator cap.
"Erupting" is a good adjective for what was occurring.

I'm not certain that there isn't also a leaking / split hose somewhere else
in the system . . .but from the 2 seconds I watched it and the trail on the
ground. . . it appeared that all the coolant was leaving the system through
the radiator cap pressure relief valve.

Assuming I get home at a reasonable hour today . . . I'll be able to look
some more.

Thanks again for all the comments. . . .

Scott Tilton
1970 TR6 Today

 -