Re: Question about shipping large items.

To: "Creig & Kay Houghtaling" <oldtoys@brick.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Question about shipping large items.
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 07:13:16 -0500
> My question is this:  If someone wants to buy something large
> like the rebuilt overdrive & transmission or a set of wheels and
> they aren't close enough to pick it up, how can I ship it?  How
> about something bigger like a bumper or frame?  I've never
> shipped anything like that.

OD Transmissions I ship via air freight, using Forward Air (
http://www.forwardair.com ) their service is quite cheap if you only ship
Depot to Depot, which means you drop it off at one of their facilities and
your customer picks it up at the other end at their facility.  I ship OD
gearboxes with some regularity and the price varies from $26-65 depending on
where it is going in the USA.  No fancy packing required, I strap the
gearbox to a pallet, staple some cardboard over it and then it is good to
go.  Philly to LA is four days shipping time.  I have sent Hardtops this way
also, Philly to El Passo was about $75 for a huge 225lb wooden crate with
the hardtop inside.

Bumpers and wheels I would sent FedEx or UPS, it is not worth the hassle of
driving to a freight depot if you're not very close to one.  I have recently
shipped a bunch of 72-76 TR6 ANSA exhausts, which when packed are about 12W
x 12H x 85"L and 40lbs, and to ship each of them was under $30 via FedEx.
Your bumper should be smaller and lighter than that.  Just wrap it and pack
it well enough to survive the trip.

If the wheels are not in great condition, just strap them in pairs, stick
the shipping label on the tire and sent them off.  This is how my new tires
arrive from TireRack, no reason this would not work with used tires and
wheels.  If you're paranoid you could tape some cardboard over the exposed
wheels.

A chassis I've never shipped, but I would imagine air freight like Forward
Air would kill you on one of those.  Check out various national truck lines
for rates.  Again, it will be cheaper to ship it Depot-Depot than house to
house.

Oh, Forward Air only takes payment via money order if you do not have an
account with them.  At the Philly depot the USPS office is about a 30 second
drive, so they give me the total and then I go and get an MO to pay in the
exact amount.

Cheers,

Kai

--