RE: Starter problems

To: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>, "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Starter problems
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:26:44 -0700
> I need some help with my TR3 bullet nose starter.
<snip>

>  The pinion is held on the armature
> shaft with a hex head set screw.

Something wrong with this picture, Pete.  I've had bullet-nose starters
apart many times, and there is no hex head set screw on the shaft.

At the very end of the shaft, there is a circlip and a special collar that
fits over the circlip.  The collar lifts away and the circlip can be pried
out of it's groove in the shaft, and worked off the end.

The pinion itself is mounted on a barrel, maybe 2" long and 1.5" in
diameter.  At the other end of the barrel, inside the lip, is another
circlip.  Working through the slots in the barrel, pry that circlip out of
it's inside groove in the barrel, and then you can slide the pinion and
barrel off the shaft.  Some other pieces will fall off as well.

The entire operation and a pretty good drawing is on page 17 of section M of
the original workshop manual.  That drawing shows a pin to retain the Bendix
mechanism to the shaft, but all of my starters have had another circlip.
You have to hold a metal plate down against fairly stiff spring pressure
while you pry that circlip out of it's slot on the shaft.  Tricky, but it
can be done by one person and no special tools.  Probably easier with two
people.

Randall