Starter problems

To: "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter problems
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:59:08 -0400 from [4.12.36.162] at Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:00:43 -0500
Ok List,
I need some help with my TR3 bullet nose starter.  I had it rebuilt several
years ago by TRF while they still had a repair source in England.  I hit the
key today and heard the starter spin, but would not turn the engine.  I
pulled the starter and took it apart.  I knew it had to be something wrong
with the pinion.  I was partially right.  The pinion is held on the armature
shaft with a hex head set screw.  I found the screw was sheared off.  I was
able to get the remaining part of the screw out of the shaft, but cannot get
to the head of the set screw to extract it from the pinion.  The pinion has
a washer on the bottom of it that partially covers the screw head.  The
pinion is in great shape and I don't want to break it so I'm not sure how to
proceed.  I am able to get a small screwdriver between the washer and the
bottom of the pinion which would give me access if the washer wasn't in
place.  However, I can't find the leverage or even where to push on the
washer to access the screw head.  Any folks out there with some old starter
experience?
TIA
Pete