Rear Engine Seal Installation Options?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Engine Seal Installation Options?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 10:11:08 EDT
Following the loss of the starter drive nut and drive spring (which punched
out two half-dollar sized holes in the top of the bellhousing), I've pulled my
 gearbox and clutch to assess the damage and clean out bits and pieces left
behind.  Look as though things will be fine once I get a complete starter
back together.

I'm now wondering if, "while I'm in there", now is a good time to replace
the original-type rear oil seal on the engine.  My question:  Can the  rear oil
seal be replaced by pulling the flywheel and WITHOUT dropping the  crankshaft
and using the mandrell centering tool?  Is there a slick  way to install the
seal halves so that they have the proper clearance?  Or  will it probably leak
as much as it does now regardless of the method  used?

Many thanks,

Bill Stagg
1960 TR3A