RE: TR3A oil pump drive shaft

Subject: RE: TR3A oil pump drive shaft
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 08:34:31 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I've never torn into a TRactor motor but if it is like most other engines
> the internal rotor is a press fit onto the shaft

Don't recall who said it, but I've heard that it's important to use a rotor
that is pinned to the shaft (as the originals were).  The aftermarket ones
that are simply pressed on are apparently not strong enough.

I've also heard it said that some of the aftermarket pump parts are too
soft, leading to rapid wear and failure.  So, either get them hardness
tested, or find original pump parts that still meet the clearance spec.  Oh,
and be sure to check the end clearance even with new parts.  If some
previous mechanic has followed the book procedure of dressing down the pump
housing to match a worn rotor, the new ones may be too tall.

Randall