Adjustable needles.

To: "Richard" <rcrabbe@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Adjustable needles.
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:19:55 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i5DEM2gs009260
Message text written by "Richard"
>Well the 7 year project is at the upholsters now getting the final touch.
The car (76tr6) does not run well and the more I fiddle the more confused I
get.
When adjusting the needles for mixture (lean/rich ) I notice they are very
stiff to turn either way. Is this normal or should they turn easily.
When I set them both at the starting point needle bottom level with the
bottom
of the piston then they are too lean
When I start adjusting them to get a little richer it only takes a couple
of
total turns then they are too rich.
The carbs were rebuilt 2 years ago by a shop in the area.
What should be the starting point of where to try to trouble chute this
problem.
Thanks group in advance.
<

There is a brass screw on the side of the piston that locks down the needle
assembly.  The tightness of this screw can effect the resistance to
adjustment the needles will exhibit.  If you pull the piston out you can
back off these screws and make the adjustment much easier.

And, as always, start by setting both needles to where the base of the
assembly is flush with the bottom of the piston and adjust both needles in
equal increments.  I usually make 1/4 or 1/2 turn adjustments and then
check the results.  That may mean taking the car for a drive.  Or even
driving it the next day.

Good luck

Dave