Starter handle for TR3A

To: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Starter handle for TR3A
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:08:14 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i57HAUgs031076
Message text written by "Eric K."
>There's just one problem: it won't engage in anything. There's a hole in
the radiator, it goes in, but there doesn't seem to be a dog on the
crankshaft, at least not one that fits my crank handle. I've tried peering
at the front of the crankshaft with a mirror on a stick, but I can't see
anything.

See http://www.intuh.net/startinghandle.jpg for a picture of the end of
the handle. The thick end is 1" in diameter and the bit sticking out at
the end is about 7/16". I know there were different starting handles for
TR2/3 (P/N 107863), TR3A (118366) and TR4 (131818), but I don't know how
to tell them apart. Is what I have a TR3A handle? Or could it be that the
DPO had another dog installed on the crankshaft? How can I find out?
<

I had the same problem.  As it turned out the engine mounts just needed
alignment.  I bought some big flat washers and cut slots (just so I
wouldn't have to lift the engine so far to to fit the washers) and shimmed
until I got alignment.

Dave
57 TR3