Garage question - non LBC

To: "Triumph List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Garage question - non LBC
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 17:04:42 -0500
I sent this note in a couple of weeks ago, but don't think it made it
through the list server, so I'm trying again.

Sorry to bug the list with a non-LBC issue, but it is related to making a
good living space for my TR6, so I think it's close enough to get through
the list censor board. Then again perhaps that explains the failure of the
first post to generate any replies.. :^)

I've been planning to do a proper floor for my detached garage for a few
years. This year appears to be the one.

I had been planning to pour a concrete slab or two slabs for the 20'x25'
space. However I am being counselled that since the building is not heated,
the concrete will be cracked by the working of the soil no matter what
reinforcement I put in unless I dig very deep (4'+). This is an un-insulated
building, so heating it is out of the question here in Montreal. Also the
back yard close to the garage gets very wet in the spring and fall so the
frost could definitely break up a mere 6" slab of reinforced concrete.

What we've been looking at is making a uniblock floor out of 12"x24"x4"
paving stones.  I did a uniblock deck with a friend 2 years ago and it's
holding up really well. I'm told that because the stones stay separate, they
can move slightly with the seasons and won't crack. The thing that worries
me is with the cars running in and out in the same place, am I just going to
end up with the stones sinking in and forming some cart-ruts in the floor.
We would put in a foot or so of 0-3/4 gravel and then pound it down with a
motorized sled before laying the stones. Has anybody got such a set-up?
How's it doing?

Another question is how was the vapour barrier managed? Under the gravel,
between gravel and pavers? I don't want the TR6 sitting in a bucket of moist
gravel all year round.

Any advice/experienced observations would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Hooper
Montreal