RE: Propeller Shaft and Trunnion Lube Choice?

To: <MotoPsyche@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Propeller Shaft and Trunnion Lube Choice?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 04:14:54 -0800
> When it comes time to lube the
> propeller shaft bearing and trunnions on my TR3A, what's the
> right way to go?
> Grease? Oil? Butter?
>
> I've seen suggestions for both oil and grease, and I can read
> what the shop
> manual says, but I'd love hear what folks are using today.

The trunnions on the TR2/3 are different than the later cars, the factory
manual recommends grease and that's what I've always used.  I believe oil
would be apt to leak out of the plate on the bottom (especially since my
current ones even leaked grease when I got them).  I've also always used
grease in the U-joints, although I recently discovered that the manual
recommends oil here.  Never had any problems with grease, although I did
recently replace the U-joints for the first time in almost 20 years of
ownership.  I believe the book says the sliding joint should be greased.

> If it's grease, are you heating the trunnion to promote dispersion of the
grease?

No, it disperses just fine on it's own, especially if you support the car
under the spring pans, like the book says.

> What kind of grease are you using?

Don't recall offhand what brand is in the gun at the moment, probably
Sta-Lube, but it's a high quality, lithium-base grease, with added MoS2.

>  If it's oil, exactly what kind of gun are you using to
> deliver the oil through the grease fitting?

The Sports 6 is supposed to be oiled, so I found a grease gun from Mercury
Marine that takes screw-in "toothpaste tubes" of grease.  They sell GL4
"copper safe" gear oil in the same tubes.  As an added bonus, it's also
water resistant <g>  However, I haven't actually tried it yet.

>  Where can it be purchased

Sorry, I've forgotten which dealer I bought it through.  The local one
didn't have it in stock, so I found one on-line.

> If anyone knows where to purchase the
> 1/8 CMP x 1/8 FPT compression fitting referenced on Mr. Wagner's
> website

If Home Depot doesn't have it, try
http://www.mcmaster.com/

> (does that sizing sound right?),

The 1/8" pipe thread will match with the grease fitting, but I'm not so sure
about the other end.  Compression fittings are normally sized for the OD of
the tubing, and on my copy of that oil gun (bought to dispense cutting oil),
the outlet has an OD of about .410".  There also isn't much of it protruding
beyond the lever, which may also present a problem.

That's one of the problems with using things from HF, the actual item may
change without notice.  I've actually bought two of the same thing from
them, same exact packaging, but a slightly different (functionally
equivalent) item inside.

Note that it's also been suggested to just unscrew the zerk fitting and oil
through the hole with a pump oiler.  I haven't tried that method either, but
I'm sure Leon will elaborate.

Randall