Propeller Shaft and Trunnion Lube Choice?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Propeller Shaft and Trunnion Lube Choice?
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:10:33 EST
Ok, I'm relatively new to the LBC world, and I've already tried to mine the
list archives for information, so here goes:  When it comes time to lube the
propeller shaft bearing and trunnions on my TR3A, what's the right way to go?
Grease? Oil? Butter?

I've seen suggestions for both oil and grease, and I can read what the shop
manual says, but I'd love hear what folks are using today. If it's grease, are
you heating the trunnion to promote dispersion of the grease? What kind of
grease are you using?  If it's oil, exactly what kind of gun are you using to
deliver the oil through the grease fitting?  Where can it be purchased or how
can
it be made?

I've seen the little Harbor Freight oil pressure feed can and bits (total
value approx $15) go for $65 and up on ebay, so I'm guessing a few folks are
taking this trunnion oil thing to heart.  If anyone knows where to purchase the
1/8 CMP x 1/8 FPT compression fitting referenced on Mr. Wagner's website (does
that sizing sound right?), I can have the Harbor Freight gun ready to go in
short order.

Forgive me if all this is old hat; all I know is it's time to lube the prop
and trunnions.

Many thanks!

Bill Stagg, 1961 TR3A