Block cracks -- TR3A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Block cracks -- TR3A
From: "Terry" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:56:13 -0500
Hello, everyone.  Happy Turkey Day.

My machinist called me to come look at cracks in the webbing of my TR3A.  The
first crack was all the way through the bridge between #'2 and #3 cylinders.
I'm not actually too concerned about it, since it's really a structural brace,
rather than a load bearing piece, so would probably be okay if competently
welded, maybe with some sort of drilling on each side of the crack and a
strengthening inlay of some type welded in.

But the other crack is beneath it, also between #2 and #3, and seems to
interlace above the receptacles for the liners.

My question to you all is, how common an occurrence is this in these engines?
And what is common practice for dealing with these that leads to a rebuilt
engine with sustained life in the fast lane!  (I'm prone to sourcing another
block, but what's the point if they're all like this?)

You know, odd thing is, the crank only went 10 under, so is solid.  The liners
that came out didn't have much of a lip either, leading me to think this
engine hasn't seen particularly hard use.  So why the cracks?

Thanks in advance to you all.

Terry Smith
New Hampshire
1959 TR3A TS 58667  (In pieces, but they're CLEAN [and cracked] pieces!)