Re: Clutch master cylinder woes - Spitfire 1500

To: TAHP@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch master cylinder woes - Spitfire 1500
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:35:46 EST
In a message dated 11/23/2003 9:16:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, TAHP@aol.com
writes:

> I'm sad to report that the clutch master cylinder in my '76 Spitfire 1500
> is
> leaking.  This may be due to age and my mistake of topping it with DOT 3
> fluid.  After reading the posts, I realize I should have used DOT 4.

I'm not convinced that this would really have made much difference. Odds are
the failure is primarily due to age, and the fact that you had to top it up
might be indicative of a problem that was already there.

> Question:  Did I damage the slave unit also?  Should I rebuild the clutch
> master cylinder and slave at the same time?  Is DOT 5 the best way to ensure
>
> longevity of this hydraulic system?

Damage the slave unit? Not likely.

Should you rebuild both now? DEFINITELY! Slave cylinder kits are cheap.
Besides, if the master is shot, odds are the slave is also or will be soon
enough.
(That's certainly been my experience over the years.)

DOT 5 "best"? In my opinion, that's a matter of opinion. ;-) Silicone fluid
has its plusses, and so does any top quality glycol fluid (Castrol GT/LMA
being
preferred by many, especially in Triumphs).

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.