Plastic Transmission cover

To: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Subject: Plastic Transmission cover
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:27:01 -0500
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net> hAJIYtH0011965
Message text written by John Mitchell
>           While replacing my interior, Ive decided to switch to the
plastic transmission cover and was wondering if added sound deadening
material was needed.  It just looks so much thinner than the fiberboard
original.
            Also, does anyone have experience with the Dynamat type
products for reducing vibration related noise.  Don't get me wrong, I
love the sounds the car makes, but vibrations and rattles kinda drive me
nuts.
<

John, I think the Dynomat stuff (the version Fred Flintstone used ;-) ) is
intended to dampen panel resonances.  It does less for transmitted noise
from the engine bay.  Since the plastic tunnel is less prone to resonating
I don't think you'll need it.  But you will want to put some insulation
there to block out road/engine/transmission noise as well as the heat.  Get
some carpet underlayment fo the application.  Get thin stuff.  The thick
stuff will interfere with the installation fo the carpet and the yoke.

Dave Massey
71 TR6 (with the TRF Thermoplastic transmission tunnel cover as well as the
driveshaft tunnel cover and glovebox)