Kevin's Green Wire Problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Kevin's Green Wire Problems
From: kmcnelis@nmsu.edu
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:56:42 -0700
Again, thanks to all who have been sending advice.  I understand that in
something as complicated as electical systems, it is impossible to diagnose a
problem via e-mail.  I did, however, find the problem (in a most unexpected
place).

I totally removed the main wiring harness.  I found several connectors that
need to be replaced, and have ordered them.  I decided yesterday that while I
was waiting for the parts from British Wiring, I would go ahead and remove the
back harness also, to see if any of those connectors should be replaced (some
do).  As I was pulling out the rear harness, I FOUND IT!  the burn-through was
on the fuel gauge sending unit wire!  That's why things only got hot when the
key was on.  That's where the short was!  I also discovered that the fuse was
not blowing becasue the DFO used an American gauge 35 amp fuse, not a British
gauge.

I guess the two items of good news are 1.  I found and can fix the problem,
and 2.  I still have an LBC, not a smouldering mass of molten metal!

Thanks again all.

Kevin