Re: tars? wheels?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tars? wheels?
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:50:59 EST
In a message dated 11/16/2003 4:34:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net writes:

> 1.  Wheels.... For, say 175/70 tires, is there any *real*
> advantage in 5.0" wheels over 4.5"?  The 5.0" will be slightly
> heavier and (obviously) wider.

Used to be that tire manufacturers tended to specify a rim width between 4.5"
and 6" for the 175/70 x 13. Nowadays, most of them seem to want at least a 5"
wheel. I've never had any problems in many, many years of a 4.5" wheel and a
175/70 tire, including much autocrossing of the GT6+ these were used on. But
wider is almost always better...to a point. ;-)

> put the alloy (Panasport copies, perhaps Minotaur?) on the GT6
> instead of the Spitfire, and put the steel wheels (of either size)
> back on the Spitfire?

You could do that. But you might want to test-fit the alloys on the GT6
first, if possible. I know that, for example, original 6 x 13 Minilite
aluminum
wheels with tires will NOT fit a GT6+ without modification; they rub on the
shock
absorber in the rear. Those Minilites worked fine on a MkIV Spitfire, though.

> 2. Tar sizes and brands.

No suggestions here. It's no longer considered a "performance" size; most
tires in that size now seem to be "all-season" tires. :-(

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.