Re:[TR250] Vibration under load, driveshaft issue?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:[TR250] Vibration under load, driveshaft issue?
From: david brady <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:24:38 -0500
Folks,

I finally had time this evening to run a compression
test and to put the car up on jack stands for
further inspection. The results of the compression
check are:

Cylinder 1 thru 6: 195, 195, 190, 195, 185, 185.

Don't know why cylinders 5 and 6 are slightly low,
but overall, I think this eliminates any problem with
the motor. The motor is silky smooth at 6000rpm
with the car stationary in my garage. Of course, there
may be issues with the clutch/flywheel while under
load.

I inspected the motor mounts by using a jack to
raise the motor slightly and the motor mounts
and the transmission mount appear to be intact.

The tires and wheels are round, and the suspension
and steering rack are secure.

The only thing I could find is a slight bit of play
at the u-joint on the transmission side of the
drive shaft. It's very slight when I tug on it
with all my force, but I imagine it could be
an issue when full engine torque is applied, which
is right when I experience the vibration.
Could this be the smoking gun?

Thanks
Dave
TR250