Re: Getting to Steering Nirvana

To: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Subject: Re: Getting to Steering Nirvana
From: Drew Rogge <drew@pixar.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:31:59 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bill,

The book says that the first thing to do is to take all of the end play
out of the shaft with the worm on it by adjusting the shims between the
cover plate and the box. I don't recall right now if there should be any
preload or not. Only after removing this end play is it ok to adjust the
engagement of the pin with the worm. Another source of play in the
steering is the idler arm on the opposite side of the car from the box.
The arm and the bore it fits in can wear and cause slop. There's also
some give in the rubber silentbloc bushings in the crosslink. I don't
any yet but there are a few places that sell bronze or brass replacement
bushings for the silentblocs. I've heard that it can help tighten up the
steering but also feeds more of the road shock back into the steering
wheel.

Drew

--
Drew Rogge